Is there a diet that can help clear up my skin?

There has been a lot of research in this area, and while the studies are not all in agreement, some do indicate that there is a relationship between dairy and high glycemic load foods (those highly processed carbohydrates that are rapidly absorbed) and acne. Several studies report the role of dairy products and high-glycemic-index foods in influencing hormonal and inflammatory factors, which can increase acne prevalence and severity. If you do decide to limit dairy foods, make sure that you are getting those nutrients (calcium and vitamin D especially) from other foods.
Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Everything you eat has at least an indirect effect on your skin. Its important to have a diet that is high quality in terms of nutrients and water. A simple way to approach your diet for maximal skin benefit is to have as (naturally) colorful a diet as possible, and to look at spices beyond salt and pepper. For example turmeric has been found to have excellent anti-oxidant benefits, not just for the skin, but for joint health as well. You’ll find that not only does your skin look better, but your overall health ad energy level will be improved as well, both of which also affect your skin.

If you are prone to acne, diet does not seem to have an effect, with the exception of dairy in those who have severe acne or acne that does not seem to respond to prescription treatment. (See my book 100 Questions and Answers About Acne)
Changing your diet is unlikely to clear up your skin. Despite what you may have heard or been told, there is no proven connection between food and acne.

Many people believe that eating chocolate or greasy foods such as French fries causes their skin to break out in pimples. Nevertheless, studies have failed to show a convincing link.

For healthy skin, you should choose a balanced, nutritious diet. If you have persistent acne, see a dermatologist. 

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

A Guide to Diabetes-Friendly Movie Snacks
Movies and snacks go really well together. Unfortunately, candy, soda, movie theater popcorn, and most of the other snacks on sale at the concession s...
What foods reduce inflammation in the body?
Sue HitzmannSue Hitzmann
The foods that can reduce inflammation, especially the kind that affects joints, include foods rich ...
What diet should I follow after I have my gallbladder removed?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
There’s no specific diet you have to follow. However, before you had your gallbladder removed, you m...
What Factors Have Contributed to Worldwide Obesity?