How do illnesses relate to my carbohydrate intake?

If your diet consists mainly of simple carbohydrates like sugary drinks and desserts and processed foods, your chances for many different types of disease rise. This results because simple carbohydrates send your system into overdrive breaking down the carbohydrates and delivering them to cells rapidly. Complex carbohydrates are broken down at a steadier pace and provide more energy for a longer amount of time. Eating large amounts of simple carbohydrates on a regular basis can lead to diabetes and heart trouble later on. Eating lots of foods that have a high glycemic index cause a quick increase in blood sugar levels. Foods with a low glycemic index can help with weight loss and controlling diabetes. Once you have diabetes, you must limit your carbohydrates significantly in order to stay healthy.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

Taking a Bite Out of Heart Disease
Taking a Bite Out of Heart Disease
In order to prepare for the lead role in the 2013 bio-pic Jobs, Ashton Kutscher opted for a fruitarian diet. Guess he wanted to get inside the insides...
How diet can help me stave off intestinal problems?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Women have higher rates of intestinal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn's dis...
How can I eat sweets and still keep my blood glucose on target?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The key to keeping your blood glucose on target is to substitute small portions of sweets for ot...
Feel-Good Healthy Snacks
Feel-Good Healthy Snacks