How should I eat if I have bipolar disorder?

John Preston, PsyD
A diet filled with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in a variety of colors (the more colors, the wider range of nutrients), and adequate protein and carbohydrates goes a long way in keeping you healthy by giving you the nutrients, energy, and fiber your body and brain need to work effectively and efficiently. Eating several small meals per day at the same time each day keeps your blood sugar stable. It's important not to skip meals even if you have no appetite, because this may interfere with the effects of your medication and negatively affect your mood.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

Could a Supplement Help Keep Your Mind Sharp?
By the year 2060, an estimated 14 million older adults in the United States will be living with dementia, which affects not only memory, but also deci...
If I have diabetes, what should I think about when planning meals?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An exchange list is one of several approaches for diabetes meal planning. Foods are categorized into...
What foods can help with thyroid function?
An underactive thyroid can cause a dragging feeling. To help maintain healthy thyroid function and k...
Fight Chronic Disease With a Hunter-Gatherer Mentality