How should I eat if I have a decreased appetite from cancer treatment?

Follow these tips when eating if you have anorexia (loss of appetite) after cancer treatment:
  • Eat the foods you like the most.
  • Eat 6 small meals throughout the day, including a snack at bedtime, rather than 3 larger meals.
  • "Power pack" your food by adding butter, cheese, or other high-calorie ingredients.
  • Drink high-calorie, high-protein supplements such as Carnation Instant Breakfast or Ensure.
  • Eat soft, cool, or frozen foods.
  • Eat as much as you can when you're feeling well.
  • Ask your doctor about appetite stimulants.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Are You Ready to Try a Plant-Based Diet?
If you’ve read anything about healthy eating plans for people with diabetes, you’ve probably seen the term “plant-based diet.” But what does it mean? ...
How should I eat if I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
A diet filled with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in a variety of colors (the more colors, ...
What is a neutropenic diet?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
When you receive chemotherapy medication for the treatment of cancer, both healthy red and white blo...
4 Foods for Strong Bones
4 Foods for Strong Bones