What are some good food sources of heme iron?

[Media id="PRD__4c911a089cdac6_49075912" title="Oysters"]

Heme iron comes from animal sources and is best absorbed by the body than non-heme iron which comes from eating vegetables and iron fortified foods like hot cereals etc. The list below reflects the best sources in order of the most amount of heme iron per kcalorie. Pay attention to the serving size (energy)

• Oysters (1 c raw)
  • Clams (3 oz. raw
  • Shrimp (3.5 oz. boiled)
  • Sirloin steak (3 oz. lean)
  • Beef Pot roast (3 oz. lean)
  • Sardines (3 oz. canned)
  • Chicken Breast (1/2 roasted)
  • Sole/Flounder (3 oz. baked)

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

How Fish and Veggies Fight 5 Cancers
    How Fish and Veggies Fight 5 Cancers
    Does your food have legs, fins or roots? The answer affects your risk of up to five kinds of cancer. And fins and roots have the edge. In a study, ve...
    What diet can I follow to reduce inflammation and the risk for disease?
    Cathy Clark-Reyes, RDCathy Clark-Reyes, RD
    To get the most nutritional benefits from your diet, and to help reduce inflammation and the risk fo...
    How can I grocery shop wisely if I have diabetes?
    Marilyn Tanner-BlasiarMarilyn Tanner-Blasiar
    Whether you have diabetes or are just wanting to have a healthy diet here are some words of wisdom w...
    When Eating Out, Choose Smart Protein
    When Eating Out, Choose Smart Protein