How can I safely eat outside the home during cancer treatment?

While your receive cancer treatment your immune system is weak. The immune system helps the body fight infection and stay healthy. These guidelines can keep you safe from germs that could make you sick. This is especially important while the immune system is weak and blood counts are low. This may be during your hospital stay and at first when you go home while waiting for count recovery.

In the hospital: You will not be allowed to eat fast food, other restaurant food, or self-prescribed nutritional supplements. Unless your providers say
not to, you may have commercially packaged snack foods and drinks.

At restaurants: Choose restaurants you know are clean. Ask for single-serving condiments. Avoid salad bars, delicatessens, smorgasbords, buffets, pot lucks, and sidewalk vendors. Avoid soft serve ice cream, yogurt, and milk shake machines.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

Taking a Bite Out of Heart Disease
Taking a Bite Out of Heart Disease
In order to prepare for the lead role in the 2013 bio-pic Jobs, Ashton Kutscher opted for a fruitarian diet. Guess he wanted to get inside the insides...
Which foods are good for healthy adrenal glands?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Three nutrients are key to good functioning of the adrenal glands: Pantothenic acid, vitamin C, ...
How can I eat if my sense of taste changes after cancer treatment?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Follow these tips when eating if you have changes in taste and smell after cancer treatment: Avoid f...
Feel-Good Healthy Snacks
Feel-Good Healthy Snacks