Do garlic and onions help prevent DNA damage?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
Most cancer is caused by damage to deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) induced by environmental toxins. A study conducted at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle found that eating a teaspoon of fresh garlic and a half cup of onions per day increases the levels of a key enzyme for removing toxins in the blood cells of healthy women. The authors of this study believed that men would require a higher dose on average for the same effect, because of their larger body size.

Another study, conducted in Scotland, found that eating sauteed onions increases the resistance of the blood cells to DNA damage.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

Cut Your Meat Consumption to Better Your Health
According to the USDA and the National Chicken Council, every year the average American consumes more than 108 pounds of red meat (beef, lamb, veal an...
How can I eat healthy at restaurants if I have diabetes?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
At any restaurant, seek out vegetables and lean protein sources that have been cooked with little ad...
How do low-fat foods affect blood glucose levels?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Some carbohydrates are harder to spot in foods. Products such as low-fat and nonfat foods have added...
Is It Better to Get Nutrients From Food Or Supplements to Fight Cancer?