Numerous studies have shown that sodium restriction alone does not improve blood pressure control in most people; it must be accompanied by a high potassium intake. In our society, only 5 percent of sodium intake comes from the natural ingredients in food. Prepared foods contribute 45 percent of our sodium intake, 45 percent is added in cooking, and another 5 percent is added as a condiment. However, all that the body requires in most instances is the salt supplied by the food.
- Q Can my diet help fend off various cancers?
- Q How should I prepare food at home during cancer treatment?
- Q How can eating well help me before cancer treatment?
- Q How should I eat at restaurants if I am undergoing cancer treatment?
- Q How can I make healthy and flavorful meals if I have diabetes?
- Q How do illnesses relate to my carbohydrate intake?