What diseases can be caused by high sodium, low potassium diet?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Numerous studies have demonstrated that a high-sodium, low potassium diet plays a major role in the development of cancer and cardiovascular diseases. Conversely, a diet high in potassium and low in sodium is protective against these diseases, and can be therapeutic in the case of high blood pressure. Excessive consumption of dietary sodium chloride (table salt), coupled with diminished dietary potassium consumption, is a common cause of high blood pressure.

Numerous studies have shown that sodium restriction alone does not improve blood pressure control in most people; it must be accompanied by a high potassium intake. In our society, only 5 percent of sodium intake comes from the natural ingredients in food. Prepared foods contribute 45 percent of our sodium intake, 45 percent is added in cooking, and another 5 percent is added as a condiment. However, all that the body requires in most instances is the salt supplied by the food.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

Cut Your Meat Consumption to Better Your Health
According to the USDA and the National Chicken Council, every year the average American consumes more than 108 pounds of red meat (beef, lamb, veal an...
How can I eat well during cancer treatment?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Studies show that people who eat well during cancer treatment can better tolerate side effects and f...
How can I eat if my sense of taste changes after cancer treatment?
Follow these tips when eating if you have changes in taste and smell after cancer treatment: Avoid f...
Dairy Foods and Cancer
Dairy Foods and Cancer