Why count carbohydrates if I use insulin and seek tight control?

Counting carbohydrates gives you maximum variety in your eating plan. It is based on calculating your personal carbohydrate to insulin ratio. This gives you a good idea of how your body uses the insulin you inject to process the carbohydrate you eat. Your dietitian or diabetes educator can teach you to count carbohydrates.
Marilyn Tanner-Blasiar
Counting carbs helps blood sugar control by managing the balance of food and insulin. Carbohydrates are responsible for raising your blood sugar and insulin lowers your blood sugar. By counting the carbohydrates every time you eat or drink, you can dose an appropriate amount of insulin. Many endocrinologists and CDE's actually dose insulin based on your carbohydrate intake. Remember there are great nutrients in the carbohydrate food groups: breads, fruits, starchy vegetables (like corn and potatoes) and milk, but choose wisely. Whole grains, fruits, low fat milk are all great options, make sure your choices are nutrient rich.    

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

How Your Diet Could Affect Your Thyroid
How Your Diet Could Affect Your Thyroid
If you’ve been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, or hypothyroidism, you may have heard that what you eat could affect your condition, or that cer...
What diseases are highly associated with a diet low in plant foods?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Metabolic, cardiovascular and colonic diseases are highly associated with a diet low in plant foods....
If I want tight diabetes control, how do I match food to insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You and your nutritional counselor can come up with a meal plan that uses basic carbohydrate countin...
Watch Out for Restaurant Carb Traps
Watch Out for Restaurant Carb Traps