Can PolyGlycopleX (PGX) help in fighting metabolic syndrome?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

The underlying physiological defect in the metabolic syndrome is insulin resistance and its accompanying elevated insulin levels. PolyGlycopleX (PGX) has been shown to improve significantly all aspects of the metabolic syndrome. At the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in 2004, the results of a clinical study using this proprietary fiber blend were presented by researchers from the Risk Factor Modification Centre at St, Michael's Hospital and the University of Toronto. Subjects with the metabolic syndrome took 3 grams of PGX or a placebo three times a day before meals. After three weeks, there was a 23 percent reduction in after-meal glucose levels, a 40 percent reduction in after-meal insulin release, and a 55.9 percent improvement in whole body insulin sensitivity scores in the group taking PGX. In addition, body fat was reduced by 2.8 percent from baseline over the three-week study period.

Hunger Free Forever: The New Science of Appetite Control

From two leading authorities on appetite control, obesity, natural medicine, and food comes a breakthrough in getting healthy and staying slim without starving.Millions have spent years searching for...

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

Cut Your Meat Consumption to Better Your Health
According to the USDA and the National Chicken Council, every year the average American consumes more than 108 pounds of red meat (beef, lamb, veal an...
What healthy proteins should I eat if I have diabetes?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
People with diabetes need to choose heart healthy foods. Lean protein foods include beef (tenderloin...
How should I eat if I have a decreased appetite from cancer treatment?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Follow these tips when eating if you have anorexia (loss of appetite) after cancer treatment:Eat the...
Dairy Foods and Cancer
Dairy Foods and Cancer