Can I eat sweets and desserts if I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, you can still eat dessert sometimes. Sweets and desserts don't provide the vitamins and minerals found in more healthful foods so you'll want to save them for a special treat. You can keep blood glucose on track by eating a small portion of sweets in place of other starchy foods, fruit, or milk in your meal plan.
People with diabetes can eat sweets and chocolate. There are no off-limit foods for people with diabetes. Sweets and desserts can be eaten in moderation as part of a healthy meal and exercise plan.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Are You Ready to Try a Plant-Based Diet?
If you’ve read anything about healthy eating plans for people with diabetes, you’ve probably seen the term “plant-based diet.” But what does it mean? ...
How can I eat sweets and still keep my blood glucose on target?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The key to keeping your blood glucose on target is to substitute small portions of sweets for ot...
Should I avoid drinking orange juice if I have diabetes?
Kate MyersonKate Myerson
There is a time and a place for any food with diabetes. Orange juice is great for picking up low blo...
What Are Some Tips for Someone Struggling with Food Addiction?