How do medications treat pregnancy symptoms?

In general, it is best to avoid using medications during pregnancy, but in some cases, medications may be used to treat symptoms associated with pregnancy. If nausea and vomiting are severe enough to cause weight loss or dehydration (a condition known as hyperemesis gravidarum), anti-nausea medications may be prescribed. Stool softeners rather than laxatives may be used to alleviate constipation and reduce hemorrhoids that can occur. Corticosteroid creams are sometimes used to sooth skin rashes associated with pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Early Pregnancy Signs

Should I talk to my doctor about pregnancy symptoms?
If you suspect that you are pregnant because you have missed a period or have other signs of pregnan...
What are the treatment options for pregnancy symptoms?
Getting more than the usual amount of sleep can help alleviate the fatigue associated with pregnancy...
What are the symptoms of pregnancy?
The first symptoms of pregnancy may include a missed period, nausea or vomiting, fatigue and breast ...
Can pregnancy symptoms be prevented?
There is some evidence to support the idea that taking vitamin supplements before conception, and du...