Why do we have ear wax?

The human ear needs ear wax (cerumen) to guard the delicate tissues against the ravages of soap and water pouring into the canal. The oily wax protects the ear by collecting debris, dust, bacteria and other harmful particles to prevent them from entering and damaging the ear canal. So, before you start to remove your ear wax with the stab of a cotton tip or hard shove of washcloth, read this: your ear is extremely delicate. Although you may not want to hear this, the human ear is not designed for swimming, daily shampoos, hot tubs or scuba diving. Unfortunately most of us are taught as children to scrub our ears with soap and water. Or we’ve been told to use alcohol ear drops to dry up the moisture in the ear. Both are wrong. It’s true that in some people the glands in the ear produce more ear wax than can be removed. If this ear wax hardens in the ear canal, it may obstruct the ear and cause ear pain and/or hearing loss. See your doctor if ear wax is a problem for you.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Nasal Spray Dependency Is Nothing to Sneeze At
“Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose” is a line from a poem by the writer Gertrude Stein, who helped make Paris a hot spot for the bohemian set in the ...
How can I relieve stuffiness when flying?
Chewing gum or making a yawning motion in the throat can "clear" the ears, which will help reduce pr...
What can I do about the white bumps that form on my tonsils?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
The white bumps on your tonsils are generally responsible for a chronic sore throat or chronic recur...
What Will Happen If I Don't Treat My Acid Reflux?