When should I call the doctor about my child’s earwax?

You should call the doctor about your child's earwax when you think your child isn't hearing as well. That is a good time to call the doctor for assistance in cleaning out your child's ears. When earwax gets packed in tight, it might affect your child's hearing. 

Earwax is a normal product the body makes, and its job is to help clean the ear canals. Sometimes, people make a lot of earwax, and it can get packed in. It is not recommended to use a Q-tip to clean your child's ears because you might just push the earwax farther back, packing it tightly. In addition, you could accidently burst the ear drum.

Call your child’s doctor if your child has:

• Bleeding or pus draining from the ear canal
  • Any hearing problems
  • Ear pain

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Sinusitis Is Nothing to Sniff At
Sinusitis Is Nothing to Sniff At
Among the world’s billions of people, Israeli researchers claim there are only 14 types of noses! Albert Einstein’s “fleshy nose” is the most common—a...
What is the aerodigestive tract?
The aerodigestive tract includes the oral (mouth) cavity, sinonasal (nose and sinus) tract, lary...
What are ear, nose and throat specialists (otolaryngologists)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
An otolaryngologist or ear, nose, and throat physician (ENT) is a medical doctor (MD or DO) that exa...
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?