When should I call the doctor about my child’s earwax?

Call your child’s doctor if your child has:

• Bleeding or pus draining from the ear canal
  • Any hearing problems
  • Ear pain
You should call the doctor about your child's earwax when you think your child isn't hearing as well. That is a good time to call the doctor for assistance in cleaning out your child's ears. When earwax gets packed in tight, it might affect your child's hearing. 

Earwax is a normal product the body makes, and its job is to help clean the ear canals. Sometimes, people make a lot of earwax, and it can get packed in. It is not recommended to use a Q-tip to clean your child's ears because you might just push the earwax farther back, packing it tightly. In addition, you could accidently burst the ear drum.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Sinusitis Is Nothing to Sniff At
Sinusitis Is Nothing to Sniff At
Among the world’s billions of people, Israeli researchers claim there are only 14 types of noses! Albert Einstein’s “fleshy nose” is the most common—a...
How does air pressure affect my sinuses?
Your sinus cavities are just that, spaces in your head filled with air and sometimes fluid. When the...
How can I remove earwax?
Earwax is designed to come out naturally. After it traps foreign substances-it's main duty-earwax is...
What Your Earwax Reveals About Your Health