What is the eardrum?

David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The eardrum, or tympanic membrane, is a slender skin-like structure about a half-inch across and about the width of a strand of hair. Although small and slender, the eardrum is a tight barrier that separates the outer ear from the middle ear, a peanut-sized chamber in the skull that's filled with air.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Protecting Your Ears Can Also Safeguard Your Heart
Loud noise (above 60 decibels, the volume of a normal conversation) is dangerous—and it doesn’t have to be a volcanic explosion to trigger health prob...
What kinds of cancer does an otolaryngologist treat?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
An otolaryngologist, also called an ear, nose and throat doctor, is a specialist who can diagnose an...
What causes protruding ears?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Protruding ears are one of the most common abnormalities at birth. No statistics are available t...
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?