What is the structure of the ear?

Eric E. Smouha, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)

Think of the ear as being made up of three parts, the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner ear:

• The outer ear is made up of the visible part of the ear (the auricle) and the ear canal, which is lined with thin skin.
  • The middle ear is made up of the ear drum (tympanic membrane) and three small bones of hearing (ossicles). These three small bones are named the malleus (hammer), the incus (anvil), and the stapes (stirrup), and they help carry sound inward.
  • The inner ear is made up of the cochlea or hearing organ, and the balance canals.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Sinusitis Is Nothing to Sniff At
Sinusitis Is Nothing to Sniff At
Among the world’s billions of people, Israeli researchers claim there are only 14 types of noses! Albert Einstein’s “fleshy nose” is the most common—a...
What are the approaches for treating SSCD?
Dr. Isaac Yang, MDDr. Isaac Yang, MD
For treating superior semicircular canal dehiscence (SSCD) there are three major approaches: the rou...
How can I relieve stuffiness when flying?
Chewing gum or making a yawning motion in the throat can "clear" the ears, which will help reduce pr...
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?