What is larynx?

The larynx is an organ at the front of your neck. It is also called the voice box. It is about 2 inches long and 2 inches wide. It is above the windpipe (trachea). Below and behind the larynx is the esophagus.

The larynx has two bands of muscle that form the vocal cords. The cartilage at the front of the larynx is sometimes called the Adam's apple. The larynx has three main parts:

The top part of the larynx is the supraglottis. The glottis is in the middle. Your vocal cords are in the glottis. The subglottis is at the bottom. The subglottis connects to the windpipe. The larynx plays a role in breathing, swallowing, and talking.

The larynx acts like a valve over the windpipe. The valve opens and closes to allow breathing,

This answer is based on source information from  the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Blowing Up Ear Infections
Blowing Up Ear Infections
 The EU (European Union) stepped squarely into the party-pooper zone a few years ago by issuing a Toy Safety Directive declaring it was off limits for...
Why do we have ear wax?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The human ear needs ear wax (cerumen) to guard the delicate tissues against the ravages of soap and ...
Where can I get a rapid test for strep throat?
CareNowCareNow
You can get a rapid strep test for strep throat at your primary care provider’s office. You can also...
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?