What is functional globus of the throat?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Studies show that, from time to time, most people experience a lump, foreign body sensation or sense of a ball in the throat when they have an intense emotional experience. The term globus is Latin for ball or globe. Functional globus is typically felt in the throat at the level of the Adam's apple. Globus must be distinguished from the medical problem called dysphagia, which occurs during eating and drinking.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the MindBodySpirit Connection: 7 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functional Bowel Disorder, Crohn's Disease, or Colitis (Mind-Body-Spirit Connection Series.)

Fast Facts on IBS: One in five people suffers from the frustrating symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). There is no simple answer--no pill, potion, or quick fix--that will cure IBS. But help...

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Protecting Your Ears Can Also Safeguard Your Heart
Loud noise (above 60 decibels, the volume of a normal conversation) is dangerous—and it doesn’t have to be a volcanic explosion to trigger health prob...
What is rhinology?
Satish Govindaraj, MDSatish Govindaraj, MD
Rhinology is a subspecialty of ear, nose and throat. In this video, Satish Govindaraj, MD is directo...
Where can I get a rapid test for strep throat?
CareNowCareNow
You can get a rapid strep test for strep throat at your primary care provider’s office. You can also...
What Will Happen If I Don't Treat My Acid Reflux?