What is the aerodigestive tract?

The aerodigestive tract includes the oral (mouth) cavity, sinonasal (nose and sinus) tract, larynx, esophagus, pyriform sinus, and the pharynx.

Researchers believe that heavy alcohol drinking and smoking cigarettes contribute to cancer and other serious health problems in the aerodigestive tract.

The aerodigestive tract is the combined organs and tissues of the respiratory tract and the upper part of the digestive tract (including the lips, mouth, tongue, nose, throat, vocal cords, and part of the esophagus and windpipe).

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Protecting Your Ears Can Also Safeguard Your Heart
Loud noise (above 60 decibels, the volume of a normal conversation) is dangerous—and it doesn’t have to be a volcanic explosion to trigger health prob...
What are ways to stop sinus drainage?
Garrett H. Bennett, MDGarrett H. Bennett, MD
A healthy sinus actually drains 1-2 liters of mucus per day! The problem  comes when the drainage is...
How can I remove earwax?
Earwax is designed to come out naturally. After it traps foreign substances-it's main duty-earwax is...
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?