What is acute parotitis?

Acute parotitis is inflammation of the parotid glands. The parotid gland is above the jaw and in front of the ear. This gland is one of several that make saliva. Swelling and pain of the parotid gland may be caused by viral infection, such as mumps. Sometimes there can be swelling, narrowing or even blockage of the duct of the gland that leads to parotitis.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Nasal Spray Dependency Is Nothing to Sneeze At
“Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose” is a line from a poem by the writer Gertrude Stein, who helped make Paris a hot spot for the bohemian set in the ...
How can I keep my ears healthy?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
You can keep your ears healthy by not instrumenting your ear and avoiding prolonged noise exposure. ...
Why do we have ear wax?
The human ear needs ear wax (cerumen) to guard the delicate tissues against the ravages of soap and ...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections