What is acute parotitis?

Acute parotitis is inflammation of the parotid glands. The parotid gland is above the jaw and in front of the ear. This gland is one of several that make saliva. Swelling and pain of the parotid gland may be caused by viral infection, such as mumps. Sometimes there can be swelling, narrowing or even blockage of the duct of the gland that leads to parotitis.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Eight Ways to Save Your Hearing
Eight Ways to Save Your Hearing
Can’t hear the TV, a quiet conversation, or your best friend on the phone? You’re not alone. Up to 52% of adults over age 50 may have hearing los...
What can I do about the white bumps that form on my tonsils?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
The white bumps on your tonsils are generally responsible for a chronic sore throat or chronic recur...
Why do we have ear wax?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The human ear needs ear wax (cerumen) to guard the delicate tissues against the ravages of soap and ...
What Is Throatburn Reflux?
What Is Throatburn Reflux?