How should I remove earwax from my child's ear?

Earwax is a normal finding in all children. It varies from a small amount to quite a large amount. There's nothing wrong with having a large amount of earwax. You should never put anything in your child's ear (including Q-tips) to clean it. The wax is made inside the ear to clean out any dust and debris, and that's what it is designed to do. When you use Q-tips, you can actually push the wax back inside the ear where it dries out and becomes stuck. At that point, if a physician needs to look at your ears, they'll actually have to dig out that hard wax, which is very uncomfortable for infants. So, the best thing to do is to let it come out on its own. When you can see it on the edge of the ear canal, you can use a washcloth to clean that part off.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

7 Ways to Treat a Sinus Infection
7 Ways to Treat a Sinus Infection
Your head is throbbing, especially around your eyes. You can’t stop coughing, and for some reason, your breath is terrible. Blowing your nose is a mes...
What are the approaches for treating SSCD?
Dr. Isaac Yang, MDDr. Isaac Yang, MD
For treating superior semicircular canal dehiscence (SSCD) there are three major approaches: the rou...
Can the human voice shatter glass?
The human voice is very powerful, but enough to shatter glass? Find out as Dr. Oz and scientist Bill...
What Can I Do to Treat Acid Reflux?
What Can I Do to Treat Acid Reflux?