How do we hear?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are three main parts to the ear, including the inner ear, middle ear and outer ear. In order for hearing to occur, there is a sequence of actions that must occur to transform waves of sound in the air into electrical impulses. These impulses are transmitted to the brain by the auditory (hearing) nerve.

The waves of sound travel from the outer ear into the ear canal, a narrow and delicate tube-like structure. The ear canal goes deep inside the ear to tympanic membrane or eardrum. When the sound waves hit the eardrum vibrations occur. These vibrations are then passed on to the middle ear where there are three minuscule bones: the ossicles, including the malleus, incus, and stapes. These tiny bones magnify the sound and send it to the opening of the inner ear directly into the cochlea, a fluid-filled hearing organ, that’s part of the auditory system.

The multiple waves of sound vibrations cause the fluid in the cochlea to ripple. This rippling effect bends extensions of tiny hair cells in the cochlea and results in the auditory nerve sending electrical impulses to the brain. The brain then translates the electrical impulses into what we know as sound.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

5 Health Benefits of Humidifiers
5 Health Benefits of Humidifiers
Sweater weather may bring cool breezes, crisp air and the annual advent of pumpkin everything—but it’s also the season of dry sinuses, chapped lips an...
Want Another Reason to Quit Smoking? Your Kids!
What Is Throatburn Reflux?
What Is Throatburn Reflux?
What Will Happen If I Don't Treat My Acid Reflux?