Should I talk to my doctor about my ear injury symptoms?

Whether or not you should talk to your doctor about an ear injury depends on its severity. For an external ear injury (damage to the fleshy ear tissue), there may be cuts, abrasions, bleeding, bruising, or swelling of the skin. Seek medical help if part of the ear has been cut off (being sure to take the ear with you); if bleeding will not stop after applying direct pressure for 10 minutes or longer; if there is a wide gash that may need stitches; if the ear is very swollen; or if blood or clear liquid is coming from the ear canal. For an internal ear injury (damage to the ear canal or eardrum), seek medical help if there is pain, dizziness, nausea, unsteadiness when walking, blood or clear liquid coming from the ear canal, or an object is still in the ear and will not come out easily. Objects stuck in the ear should only be removed by medical professionals.

Continue Learning about Ear Injury

Ear Injury

Ear Injury

If you have an ear injury, you may experience symptoms like earache, clear or bloody discharge from the ear, or changes in or loss of hearing. Ear injuries can also cause dizziness, nausea, and other symptoms. If you are injured a...

nd have severe pain in your ear or other worrisome symptoms, have your doctor examine your ear. Do not try to stick tweezers or cotton swabs in your ear to remove a lodged object as this might make the injury worse. If your ear is bleeding or wounded, wash the cut and apply a compress. Continued bleeding after 10 minutes may need to be checked out by a medical professional.