Should I talk to my doctor about my ear injury symptoms?

Whether or not you should talk to your doctor about an ear injury depends on its severity. For an external ear injury (damage to the fleshy ear tissue), there may be cuts, abrasions, bleeding, bruising, or swelling of the skin. Seek medical help if part of the ear has been cut off (being sure to take the ear with you); if bleeding will not stop after applying direct pressure for 10 minutes or longer; if there is a wide gash that may need stitches; if the ear is very swollen; or if blood or clear liquid is coming from the ear canal. For an internal ear injury (damage to the ear canal or eardrum), seek medical help if there is pain, dizziness, nausea, unsteadiness when walking, blood or clear liquid coming from the ear canal, or an object is still in the ear and will not come out easily. Objects stuck in the ear should only be removed by medical professionals.

Continue Learning about Ear Injury

What is the rate of incidence for ear injuries?
Since all ear injuries do not require medical treatment, there is no way to know with certainty the ...
What is an eardrum rupture and how does it relate to hearing damage?
An eardrum rupture happens when there is a tear or hole in the eardrum, which is a thin membrane tha...
What causes ear injuries?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
An ear problem may be from the inner, middle or outer ear. The eardrum can rupture from a direct...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing