Why do my ears hurt when I get off an airplane?

This condition is known as barotrauma. It is damage to the ear due to pressure differences on the inside and outside of the eardrum. It usually occurs when the Eustachian tube is blocked. Dizziness, discomfort, pain, hearing loss, and sensation of stuffiness are symptoms of barotraumas. Antihistamines such as Claritin and Benadryl can help relieve the pain.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Ear Disorders

Ear Disorders

Your ear is a complex organ composed of the outer, middle and inner ear (as well as fluid). Any disorder involving your ear -- ear infections, tinnitus, Meniere's disease -- can affect either your hearing or your balance. Treatmen...

t options for ear disorders vary based on the type of disorder you have.