Why won't pediatrician prescribe an antibiotic for my baby's ear infection?

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics

Some ear infections are due to viruses and do not require antibiotics. Others are just fluid that the pediatrician sees and will resolve on their own. Sometimes what might appear to be an ear infection is just redness from the baby crying and will resolve when the baby stops crying.

Louise E. Sivak, MD
Pediatrics

The majority of ear infections (otitis media) in infants and children are caused by viral infections that do not respond to antibiotics. Since middle ear fluid is no longer aspirated and cultured, pediatricians have only clues as to whether your child's infection is caused by a bacterium or a virus. These include duration of illness, height of fever, appearance of the child and specifically examination of the ears, nose, throat, and lungs. Inappropriate overprescription of antibiotics has led in the community to the emergence of resistant bacteria. Giving your child an antibiotic for a viral illness will not help the child get well faster and may even promote the development of a resistant bacterial super-infection (infection on top of the initial one).

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How does earwax affect ear disorders?
Earwax, known as cerumen, plays a role in protecting the ear canal and keeping it clean. But for som...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s ear infection?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Children are particularly prone to suffering from ear infections, which occur when the middle ear be...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?