When should I see a doctor if I have an ear infection?

With ear infections, you should see a healthcare provider if you have:
  • temperature higher than 100.4° F
  • discharge of blood or pus from the ears
  • been diagnosed with an ear infection and symptoms do not improve, or worsen
Your healthcare provider can determine what kind of ear infection is present and if treatment is needed.

The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Ear Disorders

Ear Disorders

Your ear is a complex organ composed of the outer, middle and inner ear (as well as fluid). Any disorder involving your ear -- ear infections, tinnitus, Meniere's disease -- can affect either your hearing or your balance. Treatmen...

t options for ear disorders vary based on the type of disorder you have.