When should I see a doctor if I have an ear infection?

With ear infections, you should see a healthcare provider if you have:

  • temperature higher than 100.4° F
  • discharge of blood or pus from the ears
  • been diagnosed with an ear infection and symptoms do not improve, or worsen

Your healthcare provider can determine what kind of ear infection is present and if treatment is needed.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Read More
When should I call the doctor about my child’s swimmer’s ear?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor if:The symptoms (ear pain or ear drainage) not improved in 48 hours with   ...
More Answers
How can I prevent an ear infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To help prevent ear infections: Wash your hands often and have your children do so too. You can cl...
More Answers
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.