What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?

Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without signs and symptoms of acute infection (pain, redness of the eardrum, pus, and fever). OME is more common than AOM (acute otitis media), and may be caused by viral upper respiratory infections, allergies, or exposure to irritants (such as cigarette smoke). The build up of fluid in the middle ear does not usually cause pain and almost always goes away on its own. OME will not usually benefit from antibiotic treatment.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with labyrinthitis?
The first step to caring for someone with labyrinthitis is to be aware of the symptoms and how they ...
What is vestibular neuritis (labyrinthitis)?
Labyrinthitis occurs when an organ in the inner ear, call the vestibular labyrinth, becomes swollen ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?