What is otology?

Eric E. Smouha, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)

Otology is the field of medicine that includes problems of the ears, hearing and balance. Neurotology is a sub-specialty of otology that includes acoustic neuroma and skull base surgery.

The field of otology/neurotology includes the diagnosis and treatment of cholesteatoma and chronic ear disease, hearing disorders including otosclerosis, balance disorders, facial nerve disorders, acoustic neuroma and skull base surgery, and cochlear implantation.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I see a doctor if I have an ear infection?
With ear infections, you should see a healthcare provider if you have: temperature higher than 10...
What is an acute otitis media ear infection?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Acute otitis media is a painful ear inflammation of the middle ear. It affects mostly children and i...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?