What is microtia?

Microtia is the name for a disorder where the ears are not fully formed. Small flaps of skin protrude where the ear should be. Ears can be created through surgery.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Microtia can be defined as a lack of development of the ear (auricle). This is a congenital deformity where the ear is often underdeveloped. Complete absence of the ear is referred to as anotia. It occurs in about 1-8,000 births. The right is more commonly affected than the left. Increased incidence in babies born from mothers taking Accutane. Hearing testing must be done and CT scans at 5 years of age to evaluate the middle ear. Reconstruction usually occurs at the age of 6 and up to allow for the use of rib cartilage for molding a new auricle. 

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an autoimmune inner ear disease?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Auto-immune inner ear disease (AIED) causes rapidly progressive hearing loss and can often be treate...
What causes an acute otitis media ear infection?
Acute otitis media (AOM) is often caused by bacteria, but can also be caused by viruses. The bacteri...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?