What is a glomus tumor?

David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
A glomus tumor is an abnormal growth of specialized cells that occure in a few areas of the body. They commonly occur in the middle ear (glomus tympanicum), on the jugular bulb (glomus jugulare), on the vagus nerve ( glomus vagale) or along the carotid artery in the neck (carotid body tumor) They are very vascular and can cause pulsating sounds in the ear. Many of them are benign, but occasionally they can be malignant. Glomus tumors need to be observed regularly by a doctor. If they grow too big, they must be shrunk with radiation or removed surgically.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I see a doctor if I have an ear infection?
With ear infections, you should see a healthcare provider if you have: temperature higher than 10...
What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?
Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without s...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?