What is an earache?

Ear pain is generally the result of a buildup of fluid and pressure in the middle ear (the portion of the ear behind the eardrum). Under normal circumstances, a short, narrow tube (the eustachian tube) drains the middle ear into the nasal passages. When something stops that draining from taking place, the fluid builds up the middle ear, and the result is an earache.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What causes an acute otitis media ear infection?
Acute otitis media (AOM) is often caused by bacteria, but can also be caused by viruses. The bacteri...
What is an acute otitis media ear infection?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Acute otitis media is a painful ear inflammation of the middle ear. It affects mostly children and i...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?