What is an acute otitis media ear infection?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Acute otitis media is a painful ear inflammation of the middle ear. It affects mostly children and infants and is very common. In fact, most three-year-olds have had at least one ear infection. Usually a result of an upper respiratory or throat infection that settles in the middle ear, otitis media can be either viral or bacterial. Acute otitis media is mostly treated with antibiotics and while it is generally a childhood illness, it can affect adults, as well.

The type of ear infection that is usually painful and may improve with antibiotic treatment is called acute otitis (oh-TIE-tus) media, or AOM. Symptoms of AOM include pain, redness of the eardrum, pus in the ear, and fever. Children may pull on the affected ear, and infants or toddlers may be irritable. Antibiotics are often prescribed to children for AOM, but are not always necessary.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with ear disorders?
People with ear disorders need proper medication and support for hearing or balance difficulties. If...
Is swimmer's ear related to bacterial ear infections?
Swimmer's ear is a type of ear infection that affects the outer ear (called the ear canal) and can b...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?