What is a tympanogram?

A tympanogram is a quick and easy test that can let your medical doctor know how well the eardrum moves when a soft sound and air pressure are introduced in the ear canal. It is most helpful in diagnosing problems in the middle ear (fluid behind the eardrum).
The technician will put a special probe-like earplug in your ear. Then the specialized equipment will automatically record the data.
In a healthy ear, the middle ear is filled with air at a pressure equal to the surrounding atmosphere. However, if the middle ear is filled with fluid, the eardrum will not vibrate properly, resulting in a flat tympanogram. If the middle ear is filled with air yet this air is at a higher or lower pressure than the surrounding atmosphere, it will result in a shift of position of the tympanogram.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an autoimmune inner ear disease?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Auto-immune inner ear disease (AIED) causes rapidly progressive hearing loss and can often be treate...
How does aging affect ear disorders?
As we age, we become more susceptible to various ear disorders. Hearing impairment increases with ag...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?