What may increase my risk of getting barotrauma?

The most direct risk factor for barotitis media is, of course, a change in pressure. Flying in an airplane and scuba diving are common causes. Riding elevators and driving through mountains can cause mild forms of the condition. More generally, you can be at risk for barotitis media if your ear's system for equalizing pressure with the environment is somehow impeded. Sinus infections, ear infections, hay fever, and colds can all restrict the flow of air into the ear. When a case of barotitis media causes damage to the ear, this damage increases the chances that the condition will occur again.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What are the different types of ear infections?
There are three main kinds of ear infections, which are called acute otitis (oh-TIE-tus) media (AOM)...
How common are ear disorders?
Some ear disorders are more common than others. Otitis media, or middle ear infections, has been dia...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?