What happens if an acoustic neuroma grows beyond 3 cm in size?

Isaac Yang, MD
Neurosurgery
Once an acoustic neuroma grows past 3 cm, it will start causing a lot of brain stem compression. In the past, before MRIs, when it was harder to diagnose these tumors, they would get so large that people would be diagnosed with hydrocephalus. But the tumors that doctors see nowadays are commonly in the 3-cm range. The 3-cm number is very important because if it grows larger, you will start having brain stem compression. Once that happens, a whole different host of problems occur because your brain stem controls your awake status, your breathing status and the ability of fluid to drain out of your brain. The larger a tumor gets, the harder it is to treat.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an autoimmune inner ear disease?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Auto-immune inner ear disease (AIED) causes rapidly progressive hearing loss and can often be treate...
Are ear disorders serious?
Some ear disorders have the potential for long-term complications, including hearing loss and balanc...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?