What are the different types of ear infections?

There are three main kinds of ear infections, which are called acute otitis (oh-TIE-tus) media (AOM), otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun) (OME), and otitis externa (Swimmer’s Ear). Your healthcare provider will be able to determine what kind of ear infection you or your child has.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How does fluid build-up lead to acute otitis media?
The part of the ear that gets blocked by fluid is called the eustachian (you-STAY-shun) tube, which ...
What is microtia?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Microtia can be defined as a lack of development of the ear (auricle). This is a congenital deformit...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?