What causes cauliflower ear?

Cauliflower ear develops when you get hit in the ear and a blood clot forms on top of the cartilage of the outer ear. This bruise interferes with blood flow to the cartilage, killing it and making the ear look swollen or shriveled.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Direct blow to the external ear may lead to a cauliflower ear. The pressure from a subperichondrial hematoma may lead to cartilage death and a auricular deformity called a cauliflower ear. Commonly seen in both boxers and wrestlers. 

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I see a doctor if I have an ear infection?
With ear infections, you should see a healthcare provider if you have: temperature higher than 10...
What disorders affect the ear?
Common ear disorders can vary, depending on what part of the ear they affect. One of the most common...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections