What causes barotrauma?

Barotrauma occurs when environmental pressure changes too quickly for the body to keep up. In the case of the ear, the eustachian tube that connects the ear to the nose and throat is responsible for balancing the pressure. Barotrauma can thus also result from problems with the eustachian tube, nose, or upper throat. Being hit on the ear can cause similar problems by changing the ear's internal pressure. Barotrauma causes pain and damage when the expanding or contracting gas pushes or pulls too hard on the enclosing membranes.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is hearing loss?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Hearing loss is when you can’t hear sound in one or both ears. It can range from mild to complete. H...
How do I know my perennial allergic rhinitis isn't just a cold?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Both colds and perennial allergies cause rhinitis. Because the symptoms are similar, it can be hard ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?