What causes acoustic neuromas?

No one is sure about what causes acoustic neuromas. In some cases, they are the result of a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis type 2, which causes tumors on both sides of the head. Some studies have explored the relationship between acoustic neuromas and the following environmental factors: long-term exposure to loud noises, head and neck x-rays, and cell phone use. None of these factors have been proven to cause acoustic neuromas.

Isaac Yang, MD
Neurosurgery
Doctors don't know exactly what causes acoustic neuromas. There is probably a genetic component, but there is no known cause for the vast majority of acoustic neuromas. Some sort of mutation probably causes the cells to grow at an accelerated rate. The vast majority of acoustic neuromas are sporadic and random, but a subset of these are the neurofibromatosis tumors. Doctors know that these tumors are genetic.

There is some concern that radiation and cell phones may be causing acoustic neuromas, but there's no hard and fast literature to support this assertion. However there's always a small risk. Use of either a Bluetooth wireless headpiece or a wired headpiece is therefore recommended in my opinion.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is otology?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otology is the field of medicine that includes problems of the ears, hearing and balance. Neurotolog...
What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?
Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without s...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?