What happens if barotrauma causes my eardrum to rupture?

Sometimes, in severe cases of barotrauma, the pressure on the eardrum can be enough to cause a rupture. Because eardrum vibrations are necessary for hearing, some deafness or buzzing can result from eardrum damage. The rupture can also make it easier for bacteria to enter the ear and cause an infection. Doctors will therefore sometimes prescribe antibiotics preventatively. The eardrum is usually able to heal on its own.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is a glomus tumor?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
A glomus tumor is an abnormal growth of specialized cells that occure in a few areas of the body. Th...
Are ear disorders serious?
Some ear disorders have the potential for long-term complications, including hearing loss and balanc...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?