What is barotrauma?

Barotrauma is injury resulting from changes in pressure. It happens often in situations involving rapid changes in altitude, such as flying and diving. The most common form of barotrauma happens in the ear, and is also called barotitis media. However, barotrauma can affect many parts of the body: lungs, sinuses, teeth, eyes, and intestines. The different types of barotrauma require different strategies for prevention and treatment.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with ear disorders?
People with ear disorders need proper medication and support for hearing or balance difficulties. If...
How does aging affect ear disorders?
As we age, we become more susceptible to various ear disorders. Hearing impairment increases with ag...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?