What are viral ear infections?

A viral ear infection occurs when a virus infects and inflames tissue inside the ear. Also known as otitis media, the infection affects the middle ear, an open space between the eardrum and inner ear. The disease is far more common in young children than adults.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Are children more prone to ear disorders?
Children seem to be more prone to one type of ear disorder, ear infections. Blame simple anatomy for...
What are some signs and symptoms of an acute otitis media ear infection?
Some of the signs and symptoms of acute otitis media (AOM) ear infections can include: fluid drai...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?