What are viral ear infections?

A viral ear infection occurs when a virus infects and inflames tissue inside the ear. Also known as otitis media, the infection affects the middle ear, an open space between the eardrum and inner ear. The disease is far more common in young children than adults.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How does fluid build-up lead to acute otitis media?
The part of the ear that gets blocked by fluid is called the eustachian (you-STAY-shun) tube, which ...
Should a child with an ear infection see a doctor immediately?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
Typically, yes. An ear infection tends to be painful and produce fever. Small children who do not ha...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?