What are the symptoms of cholesteatoma?

Cholesteatoma, a cyst in the middle ear, can ultimately cause deafness, so it makes sense that one of the symptoms of the disease is loss of hearing in the affected ear.Unfortunately, it takes many years for a person to develop a cholesteatoma, and during that time there are few symptoms. Some of the more common symptoms include:
  • A painful or numb feeling around the ear, or a feeling of fullness or pressure
  • Dizziness
  • Discharge from the ear
  • Muscle weakness on one side of the face
Even though the onset of cholesteatoma symptoms can be quite minor, this does not mean the cyst is not serious. In fact, cholesteatoma can lead to not only hearing loss, but also infection of the brain and other conditions.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Do ear infections require antibiotics?
When an ear infection is caused by a virus, antibiotic treatment will not help it get better. Ear in...
How do I know my perennial allergic rhinitis isn't just a cold?
Ask yourself these questions to determine whether your perennial allergic rhinitis (a runny nose due...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections