What are the treatment options for viral ear infections?

Because of its nature, a viral ear infection cannot be treated with medication. The vast majority of ear infections clear up on their own within 72 hours. In the meantime, doctors may recommend a painkiller such as Tylenol or aspirin to help with the earache and fever. Some children suffer from recurring viral ear infections. In those situations, a surgical procedure can implant small tubes in the ear to help ease pressure and drain fluids in the middle ear.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How common are ear disorders?
Some ear disorders are more common than others. Otitis media, or middle ear infections, has been dia...
What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?
Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without s...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?