What are the treatment options for middle ear infections?

Middle ear infections may be caused by viral infection or by bacterial infection, so antibiotics are not always the best treatment, although they are a treatment option in some cases. In addition, a large percentage of middle ear infections will go away within a couple of days without treatment. For these reasons, many doctors prefer to wait and see if an infection heals by itself before using antibiotics. In these cases, pain medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen can be taken for pain. For chronic ear infections in children, some doctors will surgically insert tubes into the eardrums to help the ears drain.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s ear infection?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Children are particularly prone to suffering from ear infections, which occur when the middle ear be...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with labyrinthitis?
The first step to caring for someone with labyrinthitis is to be aware of the symptoms and how they ...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections