What is the treatment for cauliflower ear?

To treat cauliflower ear, a doctor may make an incision in the ear to drain the clotted blood. The doctor will put a tight bandage on the ear that will remain for three to seven days. The bandage presses the skin and cartilage back together, re-establishing blood flow to the cartilage. When done promptly, this keeps cauliflower ear from forming. The doctor may also prescribe antibiotics.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The treatment for a cauliflower ear is surgical decompression. Immediate fluid or blood removal after the traumatic incident will reduce incidence of pressure induced cartilage necrosis. Time is definitely of the Essence with a subperichondrium hematoma. 

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What disorders affect the ear?
Common ear disorders can vary, depending on what part of the ear they affect. One of the most common...
How can I prevent an ear infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To help prevent ear infections: Wash your hands often and have your children do so too. You can cl...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?