Should I talk to my doctor about cholesteatoma symptoms?

There are actually very few symptoms of cholesteatoma. In most cases, it is not painful, and the hearing loss that occurs with the disease can develop over a long period of time. In some cases, cholesteatoma comes with discharge from the ear, and infection occasionally causes pain. If you have ear pain or discharge, you should see a doctor. However, a better indicator of cholesteatoma is your history of chronic ear infections. If you have them often, ask your doctor about cholesteatoma.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I see a doctor if I have an ear infection?
With ear infections, you should see a healthcare provider if you have: temperature higher than 10...
What is an autoimmune inner ear disease?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Auto-immune inner ear disease (AIED) causes rapidly progressive hearing loss and can often be treate...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections