Is swimmer's ear related to bacterial ear infections?

Swimmer's ear is a type of ear infection that affects the outer ear (called the ear canal) and can be caused by bacteria or by other infectious agents like viruses or fungi. It is often called swimmer's ear because the condition strikes when the ear canal stays too moist, which can easily occur if you are a frequent swimmer. This creates a breeding ground for bacteria and infection. This kind of infection of the ear canal can also happen if you get a cut in that region and bacteria enters. Like a bacterial infection of the middle ear, bacterial swimmer's ear is often treated with antibiotics.

Picture of Anatomy of the Ear

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How is an ear infection treated?
CareNowCareNow
Ear infections may be treated conservatively with oral over the counter pain medication, or they may...
What is otology?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otology is the field of medicine that includes problems of the ears, hearing and balance. Neurotolog...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?