How can I protect my children from cholesteatoma?

In the case of cholesteatoma, there are two ways that you can protect your children.

1. Protect them from getting the disease. In some cases, if you catch and treat ear infections well, you can stop your children from getting cholesteatoma. Make sure you take your child to the doctor, and get the proper medication. Don't forget to give it according to the instructions on the label.
  2. Protect them from complications of the disease. Cholesteatoma is very hard for a patient to self-diagnose. Often times, the symptoms of cholesteatoma are not noticeable. If your child has the disease, you can prevent her from developing hearing loss or serious consequences, like brain inflammation, by scheduling a surgery to remove the cyst.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How does earwax affect ear disorders?
Earwax, known as cerumen, plays a role in protecting the ear canal and keeping it clean. But for som...
Should a child with an ear infection see a doctor immediately?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
Typically, yes. An ear infection tends to be painful and produce fever. Small children who do not ha...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections